Society of Saint Pius X Africa


Dear Friends

This magazine is late, very late. So many things have taken place at the end of October and beginning of November that I was not able to finish it. What things took place? Well, let's start with the beginning of September. Our chapel was graced with a beautiful pipe organ. Some pictures of this can be seen in this magazine on page nine. A big big thank you to the anonymous benefactors that made it possible.

Baobab tree

Stopping for a rest at a massif Baobab tree
on the way back from Harare


faithful of Kuwatzana

Our faithful of Kuwatzana

People are always asking me: "Father, where have you been this time?" Well, my travels throughout the district are there to see to the well being of all our priories and chapels. In the beginning of October I took a car journey to Harare, Zimbabwe. It was interesting. No petrol, of course, on the way, but my car was able to do 600km on one tank and that is the distance between Beit Bridge and Harare. Actually the road was in a better condition than what I thought. Those old Rhodesians knew how to build roads that would last! From here to Harare the trip is about 12 to 13 hours … it depends on how long they keep you at the border. While in Harare I was able to go and visit the poorer people in their homes in Kuwatzana. They most certainly do not live in any luxury. The main preoccupation they have on their minds is; where are we going to get food for tomorrow? It is sad to see their plight. Do not forget to keep them in your prayers.

Next was the visit of His Excellency Bishop Williamson. He arrived on the 14th of October and left a day later for our priory in Zimbabwe, Harare. There he was able to see for himself the pitiful state of the country. Nevertheless, the priory of St. Joseph's remains a little haven in amongst the mess. It is wonderful to see how our good people continue to be faithful despite their manifold difficulties. It is even very difficult for them to come to Mass because of the petrol shortage. Nevertheless, His Excellency was able to give the sacrament of Confirmation to eleven candidates.

The Bishop returned to Roodepoort with our two priests, Frs. Gendron and Alessio for the priests' retreat. The two priests, Frs. Wall and Hufford, together with Br. Konrad came from Durban. Even Fr. Esposito came from Kenya to join us on retreat. And so the Bishop was able to preach us a five and a half day retreat here in Roodepoort. (Group picture on page 8).I don't think the people here had ever seen so many Masses being celebrated everyday - nine Masses per day! It was a wonderful retreat. It seems to me the priests were able to recharge their spiritual batteries again.

The retreat ended with the administration of the sacrament of Confirmation. Twenty six candidates, together with sponsors and other faithful gathered together in the church! As I looked down from our new choir loft, I was wondering how long before we would have to think of a bigger church. It was packed, especially the next day, the feast of Christ the King!

It was truly a memorial day, the feast of Christ the King. A beautiful Pontifical High Mass followed by a public procession of the Blessed Sacrament. (Picture on the cover) As we were processing, my thoughts turned to someone who told me that she had converted to the Catholic faith because, as a child she had seen every year the wonderful procession of the blessed Sacrament in the streets of Soweto. This attracted her so much that she began to pray to God that one day she would be allowed to become a Catholic. Alas, what do we now have in the streets of Soweto … and everywhere else? What a treasure the Church did possess! The clergy had every treasure in their hands, and what did they do? They squandered it all! Now they have the audacity to tell us that such things are no longer possible!

chapel in Omaruru

Our beautiful chapel in Omaruru


through the Namibian desert

On our way to Swakopmund
through the Namibian desert

Monday morning, very early, the Bishop and I left for Namibia. Very small pockets of people there remain faithful. After arriving at Windhoek, we left for our little church in Omaruru, about three hours drive. At least, it was supposed to be three hours … it turned out to be five because … well, to put it plainly, our car broke down there in the middle of the semi-desert! Luckily, with enough experience of my life before becoming priest, I was able to fix it half and half and so cripple along to our destination. So, by God's help we made it. There he gave a little conference to some of our faithful. Next morning, on to Swakopmund. We had publicised the conference. Only seventeen people showed-up, which is not too bad for a town of 30 thousand, I suppose. Then I drove him back the four hour trip to Windhoek where the Bishop took the plane alone (I stayed behind to finish the apostolic work in Namibia) back to Johannesburg. From here it was on to Durban. So the first weekend of November he spent in Durban giving the sacrament of Confirmation to five candidates. In the wee hours of Monday, the 3rd, he celebrated his three Masses for the Holy Souls and then took the plane for the gruesomely long journey to La Reja in South America where he is now based.

chapel in Harare

Our chapel in Harare


chapel in Windhoek

On small chapel in Windhoek

Well, what can we say but a big big thank you to Almighty God for all these favours received. A big thank you also to Bishop Williamson for his tiring effort.

Dear friends, since I will not be writing to you again before Christmas, I take this opportunity to wish you one and all a very holy and blessed Christmas.

Servus Mariae
Fr. C. Daniels
Fr. C. Daniels

back to contents

Home | Mass Centers | Articles | Questions | Photo Gallery | Links | Contact us